Wednesday, May 22, 2019




Hey everyone!
This week was a very good week. We had spent the last 2 doing a lot of contacts, but without a lot of success, and not a lot of people were listening to us. But, this week was way better because not only did we beat the goal of the mission of new investigators for the week, we did it in the best way possible, being that EVERY SINGLE ONE of the news were very interested in us, and a couple are ready to even receive some baptismal dates, going from not know what the church was to near-baptism-goal ready in 1 week. It might have been more common in Ian's mission, but here in Chile it is a little rare. When Elder Anderson of the 12 came here about a month ago now, he mentioned how the Chile Area, and the country, is starting to fall behind other Latin American countries, especially Argentina. When Dad served here, Chile was the promised land of Latin America, and now it's changed over to Peru and Argentina instead. So, that's why they sent me here. To return the title of Promised Land to it's proper owner.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever mentioned to you guys the most amazing video that exists here in Chile. The first missionaries to the country of Chile were 2 young men in 1956. So, in 2012, in honor of the coming of the 50 years of la MisiĆ³n Chilena, the Santiago to ConcepciĆ³n area made a video called "Creemos"or "We Believe."There is a copy of it in ever missionary house, and it is the best thing ever. It goes through the Church History in Chile, from the times of the Book of Mormon, to Christopher Columbus, to the Wars for Independence, to Elder Parley P. Pratt's visit in the 1800s, to the opening of Chile as a mission in 1956, to the modern day. Imagine a Nauvoo pageant, but Chilean, and it is sooo amazing. Lots of jokes for the missionaries to talk about.

As for P___, it looks like he won't be able to get baptized on the week that we are planning, but he is making progress. We are finally able to focus on the rest of his family as well, which is nice. Supposedly they will be all going on a hiking trip to a nearby hill with the rest of the Young Men here. The YM president reminds me of Brother Holwege. I don't know why, but he just does. 

Speaking of which, the bishop here is amazing. He is a 5'5"short man, but with a huge heart and a disposition to work and be a friend to the missionaries. His name is Bishop Tasso. He also likes basketball, so he's told me how Portland has gotten pretty far this season. How cool is that?

I finally got through the 4 gospels in spanish. I'd been focusing more on the book of Mormon, of course, but learning about the pre-resurrection teachings of Christ are great as well. Though, I do fully understand the need of a restoration the more I read it in Spanish. My favortie bit is when Peter says "Lord, these things surely shouldn't pass"(talking of the future crucifixion and death of Christ) and as a response, the God of Love decides to say "Get behind me, Satan."The JST then mentions (along with Jesus the Christ) that this is more attacking the idea of not having to be the savior than Christ attacking Peter for being sympathetic.

Another thing I've learned here in the mission- that just like me pre-mission, literally no one here reads the epistles regularly. They have the first 4 gospels and Revelation down pat, and maybe the Acts if they are well versed, but to most, the Epistles of Paul are a dark hole where only Pastors and Clergy read. Yet, they are actually pretty good.
Also, the books of Isaiah, 1 and 2 Kings, and Jeremiah are actually SO nice to read. I know why the Isaiah Chapters are a hump for members, and why not even a speeding bullet can't go through Isaish, but if you take the time to think about his words, they are pretty dope. Sometimes a good guide is required, but is can make the chaptetrs a lot more interesting, instead of the 2 where Isaiah sends a angel to kill 185,000 Assyrians, and the other 1 chapter where he moves the sun 10 degrees back, to show that a king has 15 more years to live before he dies.
Look, what I'm here to say is JUST READ THE BIBLE WITH THE BOOK OF MORMON. THEY'RE BOTH AMAZING.

Anyway, back to the mission. The mission as a whole has been trying harder to get members to do their own missionary work, where each week they pray, read a couple verses, invite a couple people, and get at least 1 to come to the church and start receiving the missionaries in their houses. I do think it will work out, seeing as the mission president promised us that at least 1 baptism will happen a month if we put out full efforts into the new idea. Me and my comp are working with it hard, so hopefully in June we can see the fruits of our labor, all the way to the end of my time in this sector.
But, it does look like a lot of people are willing to start progressing. We found an old inactive member who wants to return, with his newborn baby and his nonmember wife, and there is another who feels the presence of his ancestors in his house, and I told him that it was his ancesotrs waiting to receive their ordinances in the temple after he has been baptized himself. He is willing to prepare himself, but thinks that a date is a little to early to set. But, I do think he can turn into a sure baptism. He works a weird schedule, though, so..... it will be a hurdle to cross.

A snack that I like here is one that dad mentioned to me in the Christmas call, that I'll send home in the package htat I promise I'll send. They are called Alfajores, or an Alfajor. Since poptarts don't exist here, except for 1 candy store in a mall close by, this is the closest replacement, but they are a little richer. Take the cookie covering of a poptart, but make it SUPER soft and crumbly, so much so that if you aren't careful it'll get crushed by gentle hand holding pressure, and in the middle put conensed milk, the super swwet caramel like kind. Then, make it a circle, cover it in chocolate, stick it in the fridge so it's cold, and viola. A simple, Chilean (and Argentinian, according to my comp) way to get obese in the matter of days.

But, sadly, I have actually NOT gainged weight on my mission, as far as I can tell. At the very least, my belt at the start of the mission was on the 2nd smallest belt hole before I left, and now I'm on the smallet. So, I may need to but a new belt if I get any skinnier. To all who knew me before the mission, I'm confused too. I thought I couldn't get any skinnier either. Maybe I should eat even worsse than I am or I should work less, and yet I don't think I'll be doing either of the 2.

This week has just been really spiritual as we are finally seeing the work of the past 2 weeks, and it literally feels like I've been lead to people who WANT to recieve the gospel. PMG tlaks about having faith that the Lord will put people prepared to receive the gospel in the way for you. With the last 2 comps, I don't think I fully understood it fully, but know I do. The Lord really does direct his work.

Also, here is a bunch of photos from the last few entries. Sorry for not uploading them earlier. 
Another thing I realized out here, but I don't think I've told you guys, is that I knew that some my friends had never read the Book of Mormon, but I don't think I ever fully realized it. I think it's because as a kid I knew more about the BoM than the Bible, especially the Old Testament. But, if I went up to my friends now and asked them about Alma, or Nephi and Laman and Lemuel, I'd just get a buch of blank stares. One of my old comps had an 80s church video called "How Rare a Posession,"talking about how the Book of Mormon realy is still an unknown book to many people, though it can be such a blessing.
Other than that, I can't really think of anything else to tell you all for this week, see you next with more stories!


No comments:

Post a Comment