Tuesday, June 4, 2019


Hey Everyone!
Kind of a weird week this week. We had a lot of good lessons with our investigators, being led by the spirit, with 1 accepting a baptismal date and 1 or 2 others accepting the idea of baptism, but without a date for now (those'll come next lesson). Not only that, we found a lot of people willing to hear the gospel for at least a first time as well. So, how did it pan out at sacrament meeting?
No one came.
Kind of depressing, but we are working on it. The sad thing is that all the interest in the world won't get you far if you aren't willing to act on that interest. That is the one paradox of like half of my investigators have. They say Ï'm not sure if I want to get baptized."
"Well, why?"
Ï don't know, I just think I'm not prepared yet."
"We aren't asking you to get in the waters today, but in about 3 weeks to a month. I know you can be prepped in that time because I asked the Lord and he said you could."
But, I'm not sure if I'll be prepared by then."
"How are you going to get prepped, then? By going to church."
Ï don't know everything yet."
"To be fair, I don't know everything about the church either. But, how will you learn? Through reading the Book of Mormon and coming to church."
I just don't get it at times. They want to know more and to prepare themselves, but they won't do the more important part of that preparation. Going to church. The conversations don't always turn out that way, but it does on occasion.
Anyway, Aside from the sad result at church, this week was actually pretty great. The people we found were from all types of backgrounds, and I met my first Bolivian this week. I think I've now met someone from most of the 10 big South American countries- Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Bolivia, Brasil, Chile, Argentina, Paraguay. I'm still missing a dude from Uruguay.
I finally got to that point in the mission where I can really teach to people's needs as opposed to just giving lesson 1 everytime. For example, the Bolivian dude got taught the Law of Chastity in conjunction with the post-mortal life, because he said he had issues with looking at women. It actually went prety well considering what the lesson material was.
We also met a dude who painted the Concepción temple before the dedication. He always had questions about Joseph Smith and if the Book of Mormon replaced the Bible (hint, hint, it doesn't)..
ALSO, a random dude came up to us this last thursday and said to us (in Spanish) "Do one of you guys know English?"I said I did, and he gave me the weirdest book I've ever seen.
It was a black book, that with gold lettering on the front said "BOOK OF MORMON"on the side it said the same, with a ZB below. I open ot the first page and it has the title page of the book of mormon with it being published by Zion Bound Inc.
It was a copy of the Book of Mormon from the Community of Christ, known earlier as the Reformed Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I got an apostate book of mormon in english here in Chile. Why? Because the 2nd temple (now sold to an evangelist church) of the RLDS is right across the street from my apartments. It was sold because of mismanagement, but they still have the occasional supply of RLDS things in the area. By the way, that 2nd temple was the only 2nd temple of that church. They're back to the only one in Missouri.
Anyway, back to the book. It doesn't have footnotes, and instead of shorter chapters of 30 verses each, it has longer chapters of around 100 verses that are usually the size of 2 or 3 of our chapters. Did you know that 1 Nephi 3 has 256 verses? I didn't. It also doesn't have overviews.
Anyway, mot much else for this week. Didn-t have a lot of time to write, I-ll do more next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment